Saturday, September 16, 2006

College life...
Well. I got this blog so I could comment on Jill's pictures, but I thought maybe since I had it I could use it to keep everyone updated about my awesome college life.
I survived my 2nd week of classes, and my first night without my roommate... lol. It wasn't so bad, it's actually nice to have the room to myself. I have made a few new friends, one girl I eat meals with a lot, but she's gone on a youth retreat this weekend. And another girl that I met in my speech class, I think I'm going to the movies with her & her roommate tonight.
Classes are going pretty well. I had my first quiz the other day in my Women's Studies class. I was totally not prepared for it, so that'll teach me. My other classes include Pre-Calc (which is pretty much a major review since I took it junior year), Theatre Apprec. (my prof. is hilarious, he really makes the class interesting), History (man, I have never taken so many notes in my life!), Speech (I already had to give one! You'd think that being in 4N6 for 4 years would have gotten me used to talking in front of people. It hasn't!), and a freshman only course, UWL 100. I have met some new friends in that class, and made the mistake of telling them that I like to correct papers. So we'll have to see how many people come knocking on my door!
Hm. What else about college? Living on the 4th floor is quite the adventure. Everyone says 4th floor people have the best quads on campus, and I'm beginning to believe it! I did something to my ankle on move-in day, so I've been gimping around campus for the past couple of weeks, but it's starting to get better. The girls on my floor are pretty crazy, it's very entertaining.
The food here is good, almost too good, I can definitely see where the freshman 15 comes from! But my goal is to lose that, if possible, especially with the awesome rec center up here!
I also did laundry! There was something wrong with the hook up between the machine and the money, so laundry was free last weekend, and boy, everyone took advantage of it. We had tie-dyed shirts early in the week, and they needed to be washed by themselves, so I'm glad I didn't have to waste $1 on that! And no, all my clothes didn't turn out pink, they all came out in their rightful colors. But I did shrink one of my shirts :(
La Crosse is definitely a big change from Fennimore. I'm still trying to get used to the traffic outside of my window at night, and the sirens that go by. And, the ROTC running by my window at 6:30 in the morning yelling their cadence! It is nice though, we have a football field right next to our dorm. I can hear the band practice, and that does get a little depressing at times, considering they just left for a Packer game & a weekend in Green Bay.
But yes, I believe that is all I have to say for now. I'm going to try to find a job, maybe even see if I can get on the staff of the school newspaper.
Kudos to anyone who took the time to read this!
Allison

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I think you should make the font bigger! I am old ya know!

Mom

ps you may want to add the word verification, cuts down on the spam.

Anonymous said...

Way to go kid--interesting reading--gramps says can tell you are an English major--very good writing & descriptive!! Luv ya gram

Anonymous said...

just thought I'd let you know I was anonymous gram You know me I can't figure out how to do thingys

Anonymous said...

thanks for making it easier to read

~mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Sounds like your college life is new and interesting! And it's not so bad being a "hick" on campus - I made it through and then traveled all around the States with my job for 10 years - after starting out in a one room schoolhouse. . . so never know where life will take you.
Those quizzes can get you though! I found college to be easy for me, as I did well in high school and had acquired some good study habits - like taking lots of notes. But I also did dedicate myself to studying FIRST in college - before partying. That made a big diffierence. Figured all the money I was spending to be there, that I'd better be serious about it. Then I got a job (work study) and that helped pay to get me through. Was tough doing all that - but it was ALL WORTHWHILE. As long as you can stay focused.
Some pretty tough courses there. . . good luck making speeches - I was no good at it in high school or college, but something clicked with me a little later in life, and now I can make a speech in front of any size crowd if I know the subejct - or even have an opinion on it!! Guess it was my confidence that grew. Good luck in pre-calc . . . I had the same thing - a review from high school, but I made the mistake of not keeping up with the homework in college, and only got a C on it, when I should have aced the class in college too.
I read your profile, and cannot believe that I do NOT know ANY of the music groups you named . . . boy, am I outa touch!
Did you go out for band? Are you going to? It could be fun. I always enjoyed that, even though our high school band was better than the college one, so I only stayed in the college one two years - enough to get a music minor. But it was still fun as I love playing music as part of a group. And we traveled a lot playing other places.
Hope your ankle is getting better. I was able to keep my weight down in college only because I did not have a car and had to walk everywhere (and had lost a lot of weight on purpose my last couple years of high school). Once I graduated, and met my future hubby, and bought a car (stopped walking, started driving everywhere), well, I grew. I blame it on my hubby mostly as he was a good cook.
That's enough for now. Glad you are blogging and adapting to college - it can really be the best years of your life. Keep studying! And ENJOY!