Friday, January 19, 2007

So, by popular request, I will write about a couple of my hotel experiences!

The first one was when I went to my youth group to Tennessee. We drove there, and we stayed in a hotel in Shelbyville, IN. One of the adults had called and made reservations. Well, when we got there, the woman told us that there was no way we could have had two rooms reserved for the number of people that we had (2 adults & 7 kids). So, she wasn't going to let us stay there. She was NOT the friendliest person you'd ever meet, but she ended up letting us stay, even though it was "against fire code." Well, that was just the beginning of our adventure. The girls were in one room, and the boys were in the other, when Tim (one of the chaperones) went downstairs to check on something. We were goofing around, as usual, the girls in their room and the boys in theirs. When Tim got back, we got this brilliant idea to call the boys' room, and my friend Bree would pretend to be the woman at the front desk. In the most awesome southern accent EVER, she called the boys room and told them that they needed to be quiet, they were having many complaints about the noise coming from that room. Sure enough, as soon as she had hung up, the phone was ringing, and it was Tim calling to ask if the girls were making noise, because the boys had been quiet the whole time he was gone. He was so serious, we didn't think we had pulled it off! We didn't tell him that it was Bree calling until we got back from our trip, and announced it in front of the church. :)
That same night, it was storming like CRAZY. Since we only had two rooms, 3 girls had to share one bed, so we had to sleep lengthwise. We didn't realize that it was storming that bad, but when we woke up in the morning, Tim (who for some strange reason wakes up at 5 a.m.?!) came in and said that there had been a tornado in Shelbyville that night. Talk about crazy!

One of my favorite hotel stays was when we went to Convo last fall (my senior year). We get to the hotel, and we're waiting in the lobby to get all checked in. I'm watching people walk in, and these 2 older guys walk in, and they have Iowa Hawkeye coats on. I didn't think anything of it... hey, we were in Madison, and the Badgers were playing the Hawkeyes the next day. But then, a few minutes later, all of these guys start walking in, carrying duffel bags. Cute, college guys. Then it dawns on me. This is the Iowa Hawkeye football team! It was awesome.
We got all checked into our rooms, and my friend Michelle and I were checking out the hotel, when we realized that we were staying on the SAME FLOOR as the football players. Now let me tell you, I was NOT complaining at all :) There was even one following us down the hall, and he was singing, it was cute, and so was he!

So yes, those are my hotel experiences. Nothing too exciting, but stuff I will remember :)

1 comment:

Valerie said...

loving the new look!!

good stories, too - i can't say i've ever met anyone famous staying at any hotel...but i did meet Booger from "Revenge of the Nerds" while waiting for a show once at Disneyland.

brushes with greatness...just keep the Booger off my shirt. muh--hahahahaha!!